Home > Stupid Bike Tricks > Dear Granny (Gear)

Dear Granny (Gear)

Dear Granny,

Of all my gears, you’re my favoritest one. We’ve been spending a lot of quality time together lately and I’ve enjoyed your companionship. While all those hammer-heads with their fancy-smancy compact doubles go flying by us on the mountain, I just smile and say, “I’m spending time with my Granny”. And when we do finally reach the top and they’re blowing snot bubbles and can hardly speak I say “Come on boys; no time to rest!” Old girl you’ve seen me to the top of some pretty hairy climbs and in all kinds of nasty weather. You’ve never let me down, and for that I’m grateful.

Your beloved rider, The Velo Hobo

About these ads
Categories: Stupid Bike Tricks
  1. May 27, 2014 at 9:40 pm

My favorite as well, especially now that I am in Atlanta :)
    Peace :)

• The Velo Hobo
      May 28, 2014 at 7:31 am

Atlanta? Very cool, we’re just north of you by about two hours.

• June 23, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Awesome, VH. If you are in my neck of the woods, give me a holler, here or by email.

2. June 7, 2014 at 6:51 am

well said

3. November 18, 2014 at 3:10 pm

I love my granny gear, too! I like the look on some motorists’ faces when I climb up an overpass: First, it’s an expression of annoyance (“get off of the road!”), then it’s one of bewilderment (“he’s climbing??”).

4. February 23, 2015 at 1:54 pm

Why, yes! It is great to have granny gears.
    Peace :)

5. David Bunch
    March 29, 2015 at 1:50 pm

Can anyone give me details on putting a granny gear on the Surly Pacer? I would certainly appreciate it! I am about to purchase a Pacer, but am a bit concerned on its hill climbing ability.

David B.
    davidpt40@gmail.com

• March 29, 2015 at 3:46 pm

Take the surely to a bike mechanic…. Tell him what you want (granny gear)….. Paying for a good bike mechanic is worth it

• March 30, 2015 at 6:38 am

Hi David, if you’re getting a pre-built bike, you may have to swap out some gearing if you want a better climber. I built mine with the same gearing as my touring bike (super low, but also slow). I’m with comifer, work with a good mechanic to get just the right gearing for you. Of course, you may get a good climber as is. I’d try it first.

1. No trackbacks yet.