Home > Stupid Bike Tricks > Writers Blockhead

Writers Blockhead

With great reluctance I sit at the keyboard to pen this post.  It’s not that I don’t enjoy writing, I do; I love it.  But something has gotten in the way; blocking the creative juices and keeping me from doing the very thing that makes abnormal me feel normal.

What’s clogging the creativity conduit keeping all the weirdness locked inside?  It’s the keyboard, the computer, the whole internet thing.  And WordPress, Goddess bless their wretched souls, tweaking this and that as if it weren’t tedious enough to upload posts.

So with or without your permission, here’s my remedy.  My New Year’s resolution is to write 52 letters to 52 people in 52 weeks.  I’ll use real ink and real paper, and a real dictionary for spill chicking.  What a concept.  I’ll use real saliva to seal the envelopes and even though we haven’t needed to since the 80’s, I think I’ll lick the stamps too.  My audience will number one a week; family member, friend, bill collector, whoever.

So what will happen to The Velo Hobo?  I’ll post pictures of the wonderful travelers who take refuge in our home and maybe a few bike related photos of my own.  With no real pressure to be clever and witty, maybe I’ll post more.  Maybe not.

Thanks for putting up with me, and as always, thanks for reading The Velo Hobo.

Jack

About these ads
Categories: Stupid Bike Tricks
  1. November 22, 2013 at 3:11 pm

I’m no bill collector, but I wouldn’t mind being on that list of 52!

• The Velo Hobo
      November 22, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Will do. By the way, I really enjoyed the graphic novels!! You’re a wonderful artist.

2. November 22, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Hey Velo Hobo:

Send me a letter and I’ll send one back. I used to write to my friends all the time (20 years back) but I just can’t do the computer letter. Emails get misconstrued, No to Twitter and Facebook so they’re out from the start. Anyhow, good luck and get it all on paper! Favorite pen? For pencils, you cannot beat the Ticonderoga Laddy that Rivendell sells.

Cheers, PShea

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 9:31 AM, The Velo Hobo

• The Velo Hobo
      November 22, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Good idea, I may be lettering people far and wide. I’ll check out Riv’s pencils…hopefully they are as awesome as their bikes!

3. Double D
    November 22, 2013 at 4:49 pm

You are not alone, Jack. It has often occurred to me that a handwritten letter or note is paid more attention than this electronic monster we all sit before. A handwritten note takes time and more effort and that is not lost on the receiver. They may even read it more than once.
    Your resolution is commendable and may induce a few to take up the task themselves. I believe I will write a letter myself this weekend. Thank you for sharing. I look forward to your posts.

• The Velo Hobo
      November 22, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Thanks for the comment DD…hope that Pacer is treating you well. Mine is running strong despite being clipped by a car.

4. arlen
    November 22, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Remember keep your stick on the ice… We’re all rooting for you

• The Velo Hobo
      November 22, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Thanks Arlen. As a matter of fact, my stick is being iced as I write this.

5. November 22, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Just awesome! I think I understand exactly how you feel. I’ve started my own postcard-sending campaign recently. A short note, a sketch/doodle, and a stamp. I’m having a load of fun. I hope the effort brings you and others great joy.

• The Velo Hobo
      November 23, 2013 at 9:53 am

Thanks Pondero, postcards are a great idea: breif and to the point (less expensive to mail as well). I was inspired to do this by another blog – the 52 Letter Project. I’ll post a link soon.

6. November 24, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Send one to Finland, and I send one back. Real ink, maybe even a photo thrown in =)

• The Velo Hobo
      November 24, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Will do my friend. My list is growing!

1. No trackbacks yet.