Home > Gear > About Bar Stools and Brooks Saddles

About Bar Stools and Brooks Saddles

Buying a Brooks takes a leap of faith.  They’re pricey. You can expect to spend about a hundred bucks for the B-17.  That’s quite a bit to spend on something that doesn’t come with advertising hype, no strategically placed gel or cut outs to prevent the dysfunction of erectiles.  Also, when you first sit on the thing, you’re overwhelmed by the urge to send it back with a nasty letter.  It takes time and miles to break-in the leather.  You have to lie to friends and family and say “oh this thing so comfy” so they don’t make fun of you for buying hundred year old technology.  But before long, about a couple of hundred miles, the thing becomes a pleasure to sit on.  Like a well-worn sofa, it conforms to your back-side like no other saddle can.

Brooks saddles are a lot like bar stools.  With bar stools, the more you drink the more comfortable they become.  With Brooks, the more you ride the more comfortable they become.

If you’ve just bought a new Brooks and are scanning the web to see if your sore butt is normal…it is.  But keep the faith, it will get better, and then you’ll ride nothing but Brooks.

Thanks for reading The Velo Hobo!

About these ads
Categories: Gear
  1. April 5, 2013 at 8:05 pm

sounds like you were doing your best to convince your self of your purchase…
    many decades ago in the dark ages (1960`s) i bought the B 17….
    i did everything including baking the darn thing in the oven to soften it up…
    i tried… and tried …
    i now use a hornless saddle… “Moon Saddle”…. the most comfortable saddle i have ever own… but all of our arses are different… an to each our own… or Bob is your uncle…
    the B-17 is a beautiful saddle i must say… good luck

2. April 5, 2013 at 9:52 pm

You get a.n “Amen” from this corner. I do love my B17. I put one on my Salsa Fargo before it left the shop upon purchase.

Zeke

3. The Velo Hobo
    April 6, 2013 at 2:25 pm

yep, I’m pretty sold on them. I’ve put thousands of miles on the black one and it’s still in great shape as is the brown one on my other bike. The Aussie Saddle conditioner is working great and a lot cheaper than the Brooks profide. I only condition mine lightly once a year. I’ve seen saddles that were sagging because they were loved to death with conditioner.

4. April 8, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Well, that reminds me i might need to do a little spring conditioning myself.. I have been using the profide that i received with the saddle. I have not heard about the Aussie Saddle conditioner. Did you get it locally?

• The Velo Hobo
      April 9, 2013 at 7:35 am

Hi Zeke, no I ordered it off the internet. It’s a lot cheaper and as far as I can tell, it the same stuff. Tandy Leather sells it I believe.

5. April 10, 2013 at 2:14 pm

A great comparison! Love my Brooks saddle, so comfortable.

• April 11, 2013 at 9:40 am

Thank Hendrik, I’m really enjoying your blog, beautiful pictures!

6. May 25, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Very good comparison about brooks saddle and bar stools.

• The Velo Hobo
      May 31, 2013 at 11:33 am

Thanks ;)

7. DoubleD
    May 30, 2013 at 9:04 pm

My first Brooks was a Pro (Pre-Softened). It says so right on the saddle. Bought it in 1992 and have about 15,000 miles on it, maybe more. I have a B17 on my LHT that is being broken in and is getting gooder! The other day I pulled out the old Raleigh with the Brooks Pro (Pre-Softened!) and took it for a quick 20 miler. Hated it. Not the saddle, but the old bike. I’ve ridden my Trucker enough, maybe 1000 miles, to get dialed in and really like it. The Brooks Pro (Pre-Softened! I swear that lie is embossed on the saddle) is coming off the old bike and going on my Surly Pacer frame. My goodness that saddle feels great! The sit bone depressions are deep and the saddle is still firm. Love it. The B17 on my Trucker is beginning to show depressions and is also very comfy. Love the Brooks, love the bike. Life is good.

• The Velo Hobo
      May 31, 2013 at 11:32 am

Life is good sitting on a Brooks ;)

1. No trackbacks yet.