Home > Stupid Bike Tricks > Tellico Tour Totally Tanked after Twist

Tellico Tour Totally Tanked after Twist

Well dang it all.  Raquel and I had a wicked-ass weeklong tour mapped out.  We were to leave in early June and ride a four hundred mile loop from our back door through Tellico Plains Tennessee, up and over the Cherohala Skyway and back.  But, I’m writing this from the discomfort of my bed as I have, yet once again, bone-head that I am, twisted my knee in ways a knee should not be twisted.

But I’ll not let a little thing like excruciating pain stop me from touring.  We are opting instead for the gentler Virginia Creeper trail.  Not the tour I was hoping for, but still on my bucket list of places to visit.  The Virginia Creeper is such a cake walk we’ve decided to take the kids with us.  Oh joy.

Has anyone out there done the Virginia Creeper? Any tips?

Thanks, Jack

About these ads
Categories: Stupid Bike Tricks
  1. April 25, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Danggit Jack, you’re supposed to be my role model of sensibility!!!! I hope you get better quickly. The 2012 team is training for this year’s ride. Come join us some time….

Hugh

• The Velo Hobo
      April 26, 2012 at 6:09 am

Thanks Hugh I’m recovering quickly. Glad to hear the team is continuing to do the trip and that cycling in Cherokee is growing. Western North Carolina is such a beautiful place to ride!

Hpe to see you soon, Jack

2. April 27, 2012 at 11:05 am

Sorry to read about your knee.

I lived in Damascus for a while, and rode the Virginia Creeper while it was still a passenger train. The scenery is awesome. People in Damascus have a thing about growing Catawba rhododendron, which should start blooming real soon now. The stretch from the old station into “downtown” has some of the biggest, most beautiful rhododendron walls you’ll ever see.

The Creeper is just over 30 miles long, but it’s a bit of a stretch to try to ride out and back in one day. The surface is OK for touring or cross tires, but MTBs are fine. You can get a shuttle up to Whitetop and just coast back down to Damascus, but that’s cheating. :) I’d suggest staying in Damascus, take a day (and a lunch) and ride up to Whitetop and back. There’s about one steep mile from Green Cove up to Whitetop. The next day, ride to Abingdon and back; there’s some nice cafes and restaurants for lunch in Abingdon. If you have an extra day, take the back roads along Adventure Cycling’s TransAm route to Meadowview.

• The Velo Hobo
      April 27, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Thanks for the info. I’m looking forward to the rhodos…we have quite a lot of it here and it is beautiful this time of year. I had not considered jumpimg on the TransAm but that’s a great idea…just to say I’ve ridden a tiny piece of it. Jack

3. April 27, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Dang. That sucks. I always worry about injuring myself before or during a long tour. Hopefully you’ll heal completely before summer is totally here!

• The Velo Hobo
      April 27, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Thanks, I’m healing quickly. I’m not sure what I’d have done if this happened on the road. Fling my bike off a cliff and take a bus home I suppose.

1. No trackbacks yet.